[openstack-dev] [Fuel][MOS][Bootstrap] Please try Ubuntu bootstrap in MOS 7.0

Mikhail Semenov msemenov at mirantis.com
Wed Aug 19 17:20:32 UTC 2015

As we considered today, Ubuntu bootstrap will not be shipped in MOS 7.0. It
was a hard decision based on the issue with NICs naming [1].
This bug can be fixed only by changing the naming of network interfaces(
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/)
and it's too late to do it in MOS 7.0 scope.
So, this feature is moved to MOS 8.0.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/mos/+bug/1482049

Michael

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 6:30 PM, Mikhail Semenov <msemenov at mirantis.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We have new feature in the upcoming release MOS 7.0 - Ubuntu-based
> bootstrap in addition to current CentOS-based one. Design spec can be found
> here <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/194154/>.
>
> Current 7.0 ISO contains 2 bootstrap images: CentOS-based (default) and
> Ubuntu-based. You can easily switch to Ubuntu-based bootstrap using this
> steps:
> 1. Make sure the master node can access Ubuntu (
> http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu) and MOS (
> http://mirror.fuel-infra.org/mos-repos) APT repositories.
> 2. Run the following command on the master node:
> *fuel-bootstrap-image-set ubuntu*
> 3. Just in a case restart dnsmasq:
> *dockerctl shell cobbler service dnsmasq restart*
> 4. Reboot the slave nodes.
>
> There are only 2 weeks left for testing. On 08/27 we will make a decision
> about using Ubuntu bootstrap by default in MOS 7.0. It depends on the test
> results and statistics(more deployments - more confidence).
>
> I want to ask everyone to try new Ubuntu bootstrap. Please, deploy it on
> your environments and file bugs in case of failures. It's most important
> for *partners* *and* *plugin developers*. Feel free to contact Alexei
> Sheplyakov(feature lead) and me in case of questions.
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Michael

Michael