[openstack-dev] [pbr] [stable] [infra] How to generate .Z version increments on stable/liberty commits

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Aug 17 13:25:07 UTC 2015

Hi!

This discussion died without a clear way forward...

The "automatically tagging every commit" option, described by Robert as
"the only sensible route", results according to Clark in so many tags
you end up polluting the ref space and making it unusable by humans.
However, we are lacking other solutions that let us clearly associate a
version number to every commit on the branch.

The only alternative seems to be to have on-demand stable-branch
tagging. The main drawbacks of that option are that consumers of the
stable branch are unnecessarily limited to specific tagged commits, and
depend on various project teams to remember to push them. Basically that
would only work with stable branch liaisons regularly pushing such tags
for every service project on a stable branch. The obvious benefit of
that option is that we don't really require to code black magic to make
it happen, it's consistent with the current tooling and systems we have.

We need to make progress on this so that the tooling is ready when we
switch to stable branches at the end of Liberty. Should we discuss it
live at a cross-project meeting ? I see Doug, Robert, Clark and myself
as necessary to the discussion, but anyone else is welcome to
participate and help, especially stable team members :)

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)