[openstack-dev] [murano] Questions on creating and importing HOT packages

Stan Lagun slagun at mirantis.com
Tue Aug 11 19:10:46 UTC 2015

1. This is for simplicity as file name doesn't really matter. HOT
processing code needs to know where to look for template and it is easier
to have fixed file name/location rather than force users to explicitly
specify location in package manifest. But if if you have valid case where
this becomes an issue please share it so that we could improve the code.
BTW python-muranoclient may/should rename template file and what inside
archive package is just an implementation detail

2. HOT syntax is not validated during import time as HOT validation is
Heat's job and this can be done only during deployment time. However
because Murano generates UI form and MuranoPL class syntax errors in HOT
file may prevent it doing so. So this can be considered as some sort of
validation but it is very very basic. Heat does much more in this area. We
are doing this on server-side because this code is needed during deployment
time (to generate MuranoPL on the fly) and also so that any changes made to
HOT processor will immediately affect all HOT packages as this generation
done on each deployment. This would be impossible if python-muranoclient
would do the code generation (and this is the only thing that validates HOT
in Murano). Also it is good to have clients thin to simplify development of
clients for languages other then Python

Sincerely yours,
Stan Lagun
Principal Software Engineer @ Mirantis