[openstack-dev] [cinder]Do we have plan for restoring on-line volume?

John Griffith john.griffith8 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 16:13:40 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 3:47 AM, hao wang <sxmatch1986 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry if I missed something, since now we have supported backup in-use
> volumes in L,  so I wonder is there some plan or design to support
> restoring on-line volumes.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
>
> Best Wishes For You!

> ​No, a restore operation is going to require that the volume be taken
offline for a number of reasons.  Even with multi-attach if/when it ever
becomes a reality you can't write to the volume while it's in use by
another Instance (corruption, file system updates etc etc)​ unless you're
using a shared FS or clustered File System.

That's a use case that I don't think has a ton of value and it's not
compelling enough to introduce all of the issues that come along with it
IMO.

Thanks,
John