[openstack-dev] [cinder]Do we have plan for restoring on-line volume?

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 10:24:28 UTC 2015

Does restoring a volume online make any logical sense? Generally operating
systems don't like it when a mounted volume changes contents, and a
restore, being a slow sequential write is likely to be even worse. Since
you have to unmount anyway, attaching a new volume should not be an issue.

Just because a feature is technically possible doesn't mean it is a good
idea, particularly when the use of that feature under normal circumstances
causes data corruption.  We have plenty of code paths in cinder already
that are hard to exercise fully and buggy (e.g migration) without adding
more.