[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer][AODH] Timeout Event Alarms

gord chung gord at live.ca
Tue Aug 4 19:36:01 UTC 2015

hi Igor,

i would suggest you go with second option as i believe your
implementation will overlap and reuse some of the functionality Ryota
would code for his alarm spec [1]. also, since Aodh is working on an
independent release cycle, it'll give you some more time as i don't
think we'd be able to get this into Liberty if we went the pipeline route.

[1]
http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/ceilometer-specs/specs/liberty/event-alarm-evaluator.html

On 04/08/2015 10:00 AM, Igor Degtiarov wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> On our meatup we agreed to add timeout event alarms [1](Event-Base
> Alarming part).
> In ToDo task "Сhoose the optimal way for timeout alerting implementation"
> Now we have two proposition for implementation:
>  - first is to add timeout param in event pipeline (transformer part) [2]
>    -- weakness of this approach is that we cannot allow user change
> config files, so only administrator will be able to set rules for
> timeout events alarms, and that is not what we are expecting from alarms.
>  - second is additional optional parameters in event alarms
> description like sequence of required events and timeout threshold.
> Event alarm evaluator looks thru getting events and evaluates alarm if
> even one event from required sequence isn't received in set "timeout".[3]
>
> It seems that second approach is better it doesn't have restrictions
> for end user.
> Hope for your help in choosing optimal way for implementation.
> (In specs review there is silence now)
>
> [1]
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/Ceilometer/Liberty_Virtual_Mid-Cycle
> [2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/162167