[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer][AODH] Timeout Event Alarms

Igor Degtiarov idegtiarov at mirantis.com
Tue Aug 4 14:00:23 UTC 2015

Hi folks,

On our meatup we agreed to add timeout event alarms [1](Event-Base Alarming
part).
In ToDo task "Сhoose the optimal way for timeout alerting implementation"
Now we have two proposition for implementation:
 - first is to add timeout param in event pipeline (transformer part)
[2]
   -- weakness of this approach is that we cannot allow user change config
files, so only administrator will be able to set rules for timeout events
alarms, and that is not what we are expecting from alarms.
 - second is additional optional parameters in event alarms description
like sequence of required events and timeout threshold. Event alarm
evaluator looks thru getting events and evaluates alarm if even one event
from required sequence isn't received in set "timeout".[3]

It seems that second approach is better it doesn't have restrictions for
end user.
Hope for your help in choosing optimal way for implementation.
(In specs review there is silence now)

[1]
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/Ceilometer/Liberty_Virtual_Mid-Cycle
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/162167