[openstack-dev] [swift] Go! Swift!

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu Apr 30 20:28:59 UTC 2015

On 1 May 2015 at 06:11, Dean Troyer <dtroyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Honestly I don't think Go's dep system, which is still developing, is any
> worse than Python's, which is also still developing.  The big win for us
> (devs, ops, everyone!) is that the hassles are build-time, not
> install/run-time.  Once you have a build, it will run.  I dream of a time
> when we are free of the madness that pip leaves us in, at every turn.

A word of caution though : we are guilty of not contributing fixes to
pip though: we're a demanding user - many projects, many branches,
high accidental failure rates in changes - and rather than fixing the
plumbing we've been papering over it.

Blaming pip for our problems, when we haven't been willing to go and
contribute fixes to pip is massively unfair to the pip developers.

Any technology adoption where we try to solely work on top is going to
have similar symptoms: issues that arise won't get fixed unless we're
willing to work up the dependency graph and fix things at the right
place.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>