[openstack-dev] [swift] Go! Swift!

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 18:11:04 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 12:54 PM, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:

> * Go's import and build system is rather odd. Python's weird distribution
>   issues are at least well known in the OpenStack community. This is
>   actually the main reason I've never gravitated toward Go, as I feel
>   it is trying to be magical rather than logical. I imagine there are
>   others who are also nervous about that.

Honestly I don't think Go's dep system, which is still developing, is any
worse than Python's, which is also still developing.  The big win for us
(devs, ops, everyone!) is that the hassles are build-time, not
install/run-time.  Once you have a build, it will run.  I dream of a time
when we are free of the madness that pip leaves us in, at every turn.

dt

--

Dean Troyer
dtroyer at gmail.com