[openstack-dev] [oslo] eventlet 0.17.3 is now fully Python 3 compatible

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Thu Apr 23 09:41:30 UTC 2015

On 04/10/2015 09:41 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Victor Stinner wrote:
>> I fixed 4 issues with monkey-patching in Python 3 (importlib, os.open(), threading.RLock, threading.Thread). Good news: the just released eventlet 0.17.3 includes these fixes and it is now fully compatible with Python 3! For example, the Oslo Messaging test suite now pass with this eventlet version! Currently, eventlet is disabled in Oslo Messaging on Python 3 (eventlet tests are skipped).
>
> Great news ! That makes the "port to Python 3" question independent of
> the "Moving off eventlet" question, which should facilitate immediate
> progress on the former.
>
> On the latter, do you plan to file a Concurrency models cross-project
> session ? That sounds like a good topic to discuss face to face...
>
> See
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-April/061070.html for
> details on how to file there.

Also, on the Python 3 topic, there's still a big issue with memcached
(aka: python-memcache). It's blocking me from adding Python3 support to
keystoneclient, and as a consequence, to almost all of OpenStack.

BTW, the Eventlet module for 0.17.3 is available from here:
http://kilo-jessie.pkgs.mirantis.com/debian/pool/jessie-kilo-backports-nochange/main/p/python-eventlet/

and I will upload this to Experimental as soon as Jessie is released
(that's in 3 days now...).

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)