[openstack-dev] TC candidacy

Armando M. armamig at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 20:13:26 UTC 2015

I would like to announce my candidacy for the OpenStack Technical Committee.

I will try to be brief and to the point: I have been involved in OpenStack
since the early days of the Austin release; I have worked on (perhaps) the
two most prolific projects in OpenStack (Nova, and Neutron) and a few
others aimed at ensuring their quality (Tempest, DevStack, and the infra
ones). I have been mainly a developer, but also a deployer, distributor,
user, tech writer, you name it.

Under these points of views I have seen friction in dealing with OpenStack
increase over time, and I want to do something about it. I have never run
for the TC before, or any other position of 'influence'.  I came to the
realization that doing something about it by being on the fringes could
only get me so far.

My main goal is to empower the developer, allowing him/her to go at the
pace he/she is comfortable with, whilst preserving the quality of software
being produced: I believe we have many bottlenecks and inefficiencies in
the way we develop and consume OpenStack technologies. In Neutron I, with
the help of others, have tried to identify these and proactively did
something about it: decomposing the codebase in core vs plugins and moving
away from the project reliance on Tempest to ensure stability are examples
to name a few.

At the same time decentralizing and increasing speed of development can
impair coherence and cohesion of the overall solution and that is why I
think a seat in the TC would give me enough exposure to help preserve, and
strive to achieve these qualities in the software we build. The OpenStack
ecosystem is incredibly diverse and yet we need each technology developed
under its umbrella to share a lot more than the four Opens. The definition
of shared methodologies, practices and guidelines can help us achieve that,
but most importantly a shared roadmap that can let us peek into the future
of OpenStack as a whole rather than a fragmented collection of services
that work poorly together.

Thanks for reading.

Regards,
Armando