[openstack-dev] [all] [api] [log] Erring is Caring

Rochelle Grober rochelle.grober at huawei.com
Sat Apr 11 01:05:11 UTC 2015

Hi all,

The first draft of the spec for Log Message Error Codes (from the Log Working Group) is out for review:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/172552/

Please comment, and please look for the way forward so that the different places, ways and reasons errors get reported provide consistency across the projects the make up the Openstack ecosystem.  Consistency across uses will speed problem solving and will provide a common language across the diversity of users of the OpenStack code and environments.

This cross project spec is focused on just a part of the Log Message "header", but it is the start of where log messages need to go.  It dovetails in with developer focused API errors, but is aimed at the log files the operators rely on to keep their clouds running. Over the next couple of days, I will also specifically add reviewers to the list if you haven't already commented on the spec;-).

Thanks for your patience waiting for this.  It *is* a work in progress, but I think the meat is there for discussion.

Also, please look at and comment on: Return Request ID to caller
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/156508/
as this is also critical to get right for logging and developer efforts.

--Rocky