[openstack-dev] [all] how to send messages (and events) to our users

Vipul Sabhaya vipuls at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 00:18:44 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 4:45 PM, Min Pae <sputnik13 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> "an under-the-clould service" ? - That is not what I am after here.
>>
>> I think the thread went off on a tangent and this point got lost.  A user
> facing notification system absolutely should be a web centric protocol, as
> I imagine one of the big consumers of such a system will be monitoring
> dashboards which is trending more and more toward rich client side “Single
> Page Applications”.  AMQP would not work well in such cases.
>

>> So is the yagi + atom hopper solution something we can point end-users to?
>> Is it per-tenant etc...
>>

> While I haven’t seen it yet, if that solution provides a means to expose
> the atom events to end users, it seems like a promising start.  The thing
> that’s required, though, is authentication/authorization that’s tied in to
> keystone, so that notification regarding a tenant’s resource is available
> only to that tenant.
>

>> Sandy, do you have a write up somewhere on how to set this up so I can
>> experiment a bit?
>>
>> Maybe this needs to be a part of Cue?
>>

> Sorry, Cue’s goal is to provision Message Queue/Broker services and manage
> them, just like Trove provisions and manages databases.  Cue would be
> ideally used to stand up and scale the RabbitMQ cluster providing messaging
> for an application backend, but it does not provide messaging itself (that
> would be Zaqar).

Agree — I don’t think a multi-tenant notification service (which we seem to
be after here) is the goal of Cue.

That said, Monasca https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Monasca seems have
implemented the collection, aggregation, and notification of these events.
What may be missing is in Monasca is a mechanism for the tenant to consume
these events via something other than AMQP.