[openstack-dev] [neutron] [QoS] QoS weekly meeting

Veiga, Anthony Anthony_Veiga at cable.comcast.com
Tue Apr 7 13:07:33 UTC 2015

On Apr 6, 2015, at 11:56 , Miguel Ángel Ajo <majopela at redhat.com<mailto:majopela at redhat.com>> wrote:

I’d like to co-organized a QoS weekly meeting with Sean M. Collins,

    In the last few years, the interest for QoS support has increased, Sean has been leading
this effort [1] and we believe we should get into a consensus about how to model an extension
to let vendor plugins implement QoS capabilities on network ports and tenant networks, and
how to extend agents, and the reference implementation & others [2]

I’m very interested in seeing this feature mature.  Sean was writing this code initialy while working with our team here at Comcast and we’re still carrying the patches he wrote through to new versions of Neutron.  I’d very much like to discuss ways to bering them back into mailine.

    As per discussion we’ve had during the last few months [3], I believe we should start simple, but
prepare a model allowing future extendibility, to allow for example specific traffic rules (per port,
per IP, etc..), congestion notification support [4], …

I agree with starting simple.  We’ve implemented basic DSCP marking only at this point to allow hardware switches to to queue and filter based on the marks.  It would be great to bring the queueing down into the vSwitch and then extend this to things like minimum guaranteed bandwidth.  I have a fair few applications that would benefit from these kinds of features.

    It’s the first time I’m trying to organize an openstack/neutron meeting, so, I don’t know what’s the
best way to do it, or find the best timeslot. I guess interested people may have a saying, so I’ve
looped anybody I know is interested in the CC of this mail.

There’s no best way.  Just pick an open meeting timeslot, email out the meeting details and get your notes/meeting minutes onto the wiki. Hopefully this works out and I’d be glad to help!
-Anthony

Miguel Ángel Ajo

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/quantum-qos-api
[2] https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2XATqL7DxHFRHNjU3k1UFNYRjQ/view?usp=sharing