[openstack-dev] [nova] Host maintenance notification

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Mon Apr 6 06:21:36 UTC 2015

On 04/05/2015 09:17 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:
> On 03/30/2015 03:16 AM, Balázs Gibizer wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have the following scenario. I have an application consisting of
>> multiple VMs on different compute hosts. The admin puts one of the
>> hosts into maintenance mode (nova-manage service disable ...) because
>> there will  be some maintenance activity on that host in the near
>> future. Is there a way to  get a notification from Nova when a host
>> is put into maintenance mode? If it is not the case today would the
>> nova community support such an addition to Nova?
>>
>> As a subsequent question is there a way for an external system to
>> listen to such a notification published on the message bus?
>
> Hi Gibi!
>
> I don't believe there is a notification currently sent when a service is
> disabled. I agree this would be a good (and pretty easy) addition to Nova.
>
> Please feel free to add a blueprint in Launchpad. I don't see this as needing a
> full spec, really. It shouldn't be more than a few lines of code to send a new
> notification message.

Wouldn't a new notification message count as an API change?  Or are we saying
that it's such a small API change that any discussion can happen in the blueprint?

(I'm trying to figure out how this relates to
"http://docs.openstack.org/developer/nova/devref/kilo.blueprints.html" which
says that any API change requires a spec.)

Also, if the notification messages are considered part of the API, should they
be versioned?

Chris