[openstack-dev] [nova] Host maintenance notification

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 03:17:04 UTC 2015

On 03/30/2015 03:16 AM, Balázs Gibizer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have the following scenario. I have an application consisting of
> multiple VMs on different compute hosts. The admin puts one of the
> hosts into maintenance mode (nova-manage service disable ...) because
> there will  be some maintenance activity on that host in the near
> future. Is there a way to  get a notification from Nova when a host
> is put into maintenance mode? If it is not the case today would the
> nova community support such an addition to Nova?
>
> As a subsequent question is there a way for an external system to
> listen to such a notification published on the message bus?

Hi Gibi!

I don't believe there is a notification currently sent when a service is
disabled. I agree this would be a good (and pretty easy) addition to Nova.

Please feel free to add a blueprint in Launchpad. I don't see this as
needing a full spec, really. It shouldn't be more than a few lines of
code to send a new notification message.

Best,
-jay