[openstack-dev] [Magnum] Containers and networking

Adrian Otto adrian.otto at rackspace.com
Thu Apr 2 18:00:27 UTC 2015

Russell,

On Apr 2, 2015, at 9:51 AM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 04/02/2015 12:36 PM, Adrian Otto wrote:
>> What to expect in the Liberty release cycle:

>> * Overlay networking
>
> This is totally unrelated to your PTL email, but on this point, I'd be
> curious what the Magnum team thinks of this proposal:
>
> http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/dev/2015-March/052663.html
>
> It's a proposed (and now merged) design for how containers that live
> inside OpenStack managed VMs can be natively connected to virtual
> networks managed by Neutron.  There's some parts of the process that are
> handled by the container orchestration system being used.

This sounds a lot like what we talked about in the Midcycle when we discussed this topic. We’ll take a good look at this. I’m planning for this topic to be at least one of our Design session topics, and would love to coordinate for OVS contributors and Neutron stakeholders to join us. Thanks for sharing this proposal with us!

Keep in mind that my characterization of “Overlay Networking” does not necessarily mean double encapsulation. It means having a reliable means for containers to communicate across hosts using an IP address scheme that is user-supplied.

Cheers,

Adrian