[openstack-dev] [Magnum] Containers and networking

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Thu Apr 2 17:51:48 UTC 2015

On 4/2/15, 9:51 AM, "Russell Bryant" <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:

>On 04/02/2015 12:36 PM, Adrian Otto wrote:
>> What to expect in the Liberty release cycle:

>> * Overlay networking
>
>This is totally unrelated to your PTL email, but on this point, I'd be
>curious what the Magnum team thinks of this proposal:
>
>http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/dev/2015-March/052663.html
>
>It's a proposed (and now merged) design for how containers that live
>inside OpenStack managed VMs can be natively connected to virtual
>networks managed by Neutron.  There's some parts of the process that are
>handled by the container orchestration system being used.

Looks like a fantastic solution to getting rid of overlay networks.  I
don¹t prefer the overlay network model because it introduces memcpy and
latency to copy the packets around.  I prefer the container have access
directly to neutron, so this proposal seems spot on.

Note the Magnum community takes COE¹s as they come, and atm COE¹s come
built by design with overlay networking.  We don¹t do a whole lot of r&d
in this area.  Instead we just set up the system as it should be via the
heat-coe-templates stackforge repo.

I suspect as COEs adopt these new OVS models, we will just set them up
according to the upstream documentation as we do now.

There is still a use case for vxlan that requires overlay networks, which
we will have to sort out.

Regards
-steve