[openstack-dev] [oslo] Fate of xmlutils

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Tue Sep 30 07:45:10 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 29 2014, Joshua Harlow wrote:

> Do we know that the users (keystone, neutron...) aren't vulnerable?
>
> From https://pypi.python.org/pypi/defusedxml#python-xml-libraries it sure seems
> like we would likely still have issues if custom implementations are being
> used/created. Perhaps we should just use the defusedxml libraries until proven
> otherwise (better to be safe than sorry).

According to LP#1100282¹, Keystone and Neutron are supposed to not be
vulnerable with different fixes than Nova.

Since all the solutions are different, I'm not sure it covers the
problem in its entirety in all cases.

I see 2 options:
1. Put effort to move all projects to defusedxml
2. Since XML API are going to be deprecated (at least in Nova), move
   xmlutils to Nova and be done with it.

Solution 1 requires a lot more effort, and I wonder if it's worth it.

¹  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1100282

--
Julien Danjou
// Free Software hacker