[openstack-dev] Of wiki and contributors docs (was Re: [Nova] [All] API standards working group)

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Thu Sep 25 19:58:09 UTC 2014

On 09/24/2014 09:09 PM, Anne Gentle wrote:
> I think the wiki is a great place to get ideas out while we look for a
> cross-project specs workflow in the meantime.

The wiki is a great place to store things temporarily until they mature
and find a stable home :)

Speaking of wiki, those of you that follow the recent changes may have
noticed that I've been doing quite a bit of gardening lately in the
Category namespace[1].

The wiki pages have been growing in a fast pace when thinking of a
taxonomy and more structure was not really an option. Given the feedback
I'm getting from people interested in becoming contributors, I think
it's time to give the wiki more shape.

Some time ago, Katherine Cranford (a trained taxonomist) volunteered to
get through the wiki pages and draft a taxonomy for us. Shari Mahrdt, a
recent hire by the Foundation, volunteered a few hours per week to
implement it and I finally took the lead for a project to reorganize
content for developers (as in contributors) community[2].

We have a proposed taxonomy[3] and a first try at implementing it is
visible as a navigable tree on
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Category:Home

Shari and I are keeping track of things to do on this etherpad:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/Action_Items_OpenStack_Wiki

We're very early in this project, things may change and we'll need help
from each editor of the wiki. I just wanted to let you know that work is
being done to improve life for new contributors. More details will follow.

/stef

[1]
https://wiki.openstack.org/w/index.php?namespace=14&tagfilter=&translations=filter&hideminor=1&title=Special%3ARecentChanges
[2]