[openstack-dev] [Nova] [All] API standards working group

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Thu Sep 25 04:09:06 UTC 2014

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 10:51 PM, Christopher Yeoh <cbkyeoh at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 13:05:09 -0400
> Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > +1
> > >
> > > I’d bring an API consumer’s perspective as well.
> > >
> > > Looks like there’s lots of support for an API WG. What’s the next
> > > step?
> > >
> > > Form a WG under the User Committee [1] or is there something more
> > > appropriate?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Everett
> > >
> > > [1]
> > >
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/Foundation/UserCommittee#Working_Groups
> >
> > Whatever it ends up being, it needs to have some teeth to it.
> > Otherwise, we're going to end up in the exact same place we're in
> > now, where each project does something slightly different.
>
> I think its more an issue around actually having guidelines and
> educating people where to find them than needing teeth to enforce them.
> Where I've seen variation in the APIs in Nova its been primarily because
> people haven't known what the conventions are than anything else.

+1

I think the wiki is a great place to get ideas out while we look for a
cross-project specs workflow in the meantime. Here's a link to the TC
meeting [1] where we talked about creating a style guide similar to this
one:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Cloud_APIs_REST_Style_Guide

The goal is to give developers guidance while designing APIs so we're
consistent across all the projects. If we don't get this sort of style guide
to point people to, we'll continue to experience inconsistency across
projects. Let's start on the wiki, talk more at the Summit, and iterate as
we go.

Anne

1.
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/tc/2014/tc.2014-06-10-20.03.log.html