[openstack-dev] [Zaqar] Zaqar and SQS Properties of Distributed Queues

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Tue Sep 23 19:29:54 UTC 2014

Flavio wrote> "The reasoning, as explained in an other
email, is that from a use-case perspective, strict ordering won't hurt
you if you don't need it whereas having to implement it in the client
side because the service doesn't provide it can be a PITA."

The reasoning is flawed though. If performance is a concern, having strict ordering costs you when you may not care!

For example, is it better to implement a video streaming service on tcp or udp if firewalls aren't a concern? The latter. Why? Because ordering is a problem for these systems! If you have frames, 1 2 and 3..., and frame 2 gets lost on the first transmit and needs resending, but 3 gets there, the system has to wait to display frame 3 waiting for frame 2. But by the time frame 2 gets there, frame 3 doesn't matter because the system needs to move on to frame 5 now. The human eye doens't care to wait for retransmits of frames. it only cares about the now. So because of the ordering, the eye sees 3 dropped frames instead of just one. making the system worse, not better.

Yeah, I know its a bit of a silly example. No one would implement video streaming on top of messaging like that. But it does present the point that something that seemingly only provides good things (order is always better then disorder, right?), sometimes has unintended and negative side affects. In lossless systems, it can show up as unnecessary latency or higher cpu loads.

I think your option 1 will make Zaqar much more palatable to those that don't need the strict ordering requirement.

I'm glad you want to make hard things like guaranteed ordering available so that users don't have to deal with it themselves if they don't want to. Its a great feature. But it also is an anti-feature in some cases. The ramifications of its requirements are higher then you think, and a feature to just disable it shouldn't be very costly to implement.

Part of the controversy right now, I think, has been not understanding the use case here, and by insisting that FIFO only ever is positive, it makes others that know its negatives question what other assumptions were made in Zaqar and makes them a little gun shy.

Please do reconsider this stance.

Thanks,
Kevin