[openstack-dev] [Zaqar] Zaqar and SQS Properties of Distributed Queues

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Tue Sep 23 15:06:54 UTC 2014

On 23/09/14 08:58, Flavio Percoco wrote:
> I believe the guarantee is still useful and it currently does not
> represent an issue for the service nor the user. 2 things could happen
> to FIFO in the future:
>
> 1. It's made optional and we allow users to opt-in in a per flavor
> basis. (I personally don't like this one because it makes
> interoperability even harder).

Hmm, I'm not so sure this is such a bad option. I criticised flavours
earlier in this thread on the assumption that it meant every storage
back-end would have its own semantics, and those would be surfaced to
the user in the form of flavours - that does indeed make
interoperability very hard.

The same issue does not arise for options implemented in Zaqar itself.
If every back-end supports FIFO semantics but Zaqar has a layer that
distributes the queue among multiple backends or not, depending on the
flavour selected by the user, then there would be no impact on
interoperability as the same semantics would be available regardless of
the back-end chosen by the operator.

> 2. It's removed completely (Again, I personally don't like this one
> because I don't think we have strong enough cases to require this to
> happen).
>
> That said, there's just 1 thing I think will happen for now, it'll be
> kept as-is unless there are strong cases that'd require (1) or (2). All
> this should be considered in the discussion of the API v2, whenever that
> happens.

I think this is it ;)

cheers,
Zane.