[openstack-dev] [Zaqar] Zaqar and SQS Properties of Distributed Queues

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Fri Sep 19 09:25:30 UTC 2014

On 09/19/2014 11:00 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Joe Gordon wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 9:02 AM, Devananda van der Veen
>> <devananda.vdv at gmail.com <mailto:devananda.vdv at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>     - guaranteed message order
>>>     - not distributing work across a configurable number of back ends
>>>
>>>     These are scale-limiting design choices which are reflected in the
>>>     API's characteristics.
>>
>> I agree with Clint and Devananda
>
> The underlying question being... can Zaqar evolve to ultimately reach
> the massive scale use case Joe, Clint and Devananda want it to reach, or
> are those design choices so deeply rooted in the code and architecture
> that Zaqar won't naturally mutate to support that use case.
>
> The Zaqar team has shown great willingness to adapt in order to support
> more use cases, but I guess there may be architectural design choices
> that would just mean starting over ?

Zaqar has scaling capabilities that go beyond depending on a single
storage cluster. As I mentioned in my previous email, the support for
storage pools allows the operator to scale out the storage layer and
balance the load across them.

There's always space for improvement and I definitely wouldn't go that
far to say there's a need to start over.

--
@flaper87
Flavio Percoco