[openstack-dev] [Zaqar] Zaqar and SQS Properties of Distributed Queues

Devananda van der Veen devananda.vdv at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 16:02:38 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 7:55 AM, Flavio Percoco <flavio at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 09/18/2014 04:24 PM, Clint Byrum wrote:
>> Great job highlighting what our friends over at Amazon are doing.
>>
>> It's clear from these snippets, and a few other pieces of documentation
>> for SQS I've read, that the Amazon team approached SQS from a _massive_
>> scaling perspective. I think what may be forcing a lot of this frustration
>> with Zaqar is that it was designed with a much smaller scale in mind.
>>
>> I think as long as that is the case, the design will remain in question.
>> I'd be comfortable saying that the use cases I've been thinking about
>> are entirely fine with the limitations SQS has.
>
> I think these are pretty strong comments with not enough arguments to
> defend them.

Please see my prior email. I agree with Clint's assertions here.

> Saying that Zaqar was designed with a smaller scale in mid without
> actually saying why you think so is not fair besides not being true. So
> please, do share why you think Zaqar was not designed for big scales and
> provide comments that will help the project to grow and improve.
>
> - Is it because the storage technologies that have been chosen?
> - Is it because of the API?
> - Is it because of the programing language/framework ?

It is not because of the storage technology or because of the
programming language.

> So far, we've just discussed the API semantics and not zaqar's
> scalability, which makes your comments even more surprising.

- guaranteed message order
- not distributing work across a configurable number of back ends

These are scale-limiting design choices which are reflected in the
API's characteristics.