[openstack-dev] [blazar]: proposal for a new lease type

Lisa lisa.zangrando at pd.infn.it
Thu Sep 18 15:10:23 UTC 2014

Hi Sylvain,

thanks a lot for your answer.

I'd like to extend (if possible) the BLAZAR's list of the supported
lease types by adding a new one which covers a specific use case which,
it seems, it is not yet supported by BLAZAR. You know, In OpenStack
every project has a granted fixed quota which cannot be extended
dynamically. This implies that a project cannot allocate unused
resources assigned to different projects. The idea is to lease such
unused resources just for a limited duration time (e.g. from few hours
to 1 day). Suppose the project "A" has consumed all own assigned
resources while the project "B", in the current time, has several
available resources. "B" may offer its own resources to "A" just for a
limited and well known time duration (i.e. not forever) so that in the
future it can claim, if needed, the available resources belonging to "A"
(or other projects).
This is a fair-share mechanism which guarantees the resources usage is
equally distributed among users and projects by considering the portion
of the resources allocated to them (i.e. share) and the resources
already consumed. Please remark the "share" is a different concept than
"quota" in the cloud terminology. You can consider this proposal as a
way to update dynamically the quotas by considering the historical usage
of each project. This approach should make OpenStack very efficient in
terms of resource utilization.

About the blueprint I will try to create a new one.

Thanks again.
Cheers,
Lisa