[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Allowing specifying object ID in create_* API

Eugene Nikanorov enikanorov at mirantis.com
Tue Sep 16 17:46:55 UTC 2014

Hi neutrons,

We've been discussing various ways of doing cloud upgrades.

One of the safe and viable solutions seems to be moving existing resources
to a new cloud deployed with new version of openstack.
By saying 'moving' I mean replication of all resources and wiring
everything together in a new cloud.

This solution, while having its obvious drawbacks, is relatively simple,
works through cloud public API and also allows users to move back to their
existing working cloud at any time.

One of the concerns of this approach seems to be the issue with client-side
automatization. E.g. everything that relies on existing cloud data.

Technically speaking, there is no way to fully replicate objects, because
the API of different components, including Neutron, doesn't allow IDs to be
provided at creation time.

Surprisingly, it's purely API limitation; db code support ID being passed
from the API.

So my question is - is this API limitation really critical?
I know getting rid of it will require to take care of some additional
things like DBDuplicateErrors, but is there other reasons to keep it?

Thanks,
Eugene.