[openstack-dev] [all] Bringing back auto-abandon (was: Review metrics - what do we want to measure?)

Matthew Oliver matt at oliver.net.au
Wed Sep 10 20:10:22 UTC 2014

Hey all,

I have written a abandon notifier script for swift. The idea is it does a
gerrit query for changes that haven't been updated for 4 weeks, has a
negative score and isn't WIP. It then sends an email notification warning
the owner that the change is being considered as an abandoned change and
gives them some options on what they can do about it, and gives them a
deadline (2 weeks from when the notification was sent).

Once 2 weeks have passed since the notification was sent, and the change
still hasn't been touched, then it is added to a list of abandoned changes
(a simple html list [cause I'm lazy and so it can be easily loaded into
swift in future]). The change and notification metadata is all managed in a
MySQL database so statistical analysis can applied later.

The script doesn't log in to gerrit, but could be extended to login and
actually auto abandon, but haven't quite got that far. At the moment I can
bring the list up at the swift meeting and cores can go abandon things (or
they can check the report directly if they want).

This is new and only went live a few weeks ago, so still seeing how it
goes, but so far, in the database I see quite a few changes flagged as
deleted (which means they have been updated (assuming due to the
notification being sent).

All of the configuration, includiing the email template can be found in the
yaml config file.

This could be extended to look at other/all projects or could be run by
each project them selves. If anyone is interested the code is here:
https://github.com/matthewoliver/swift_abandon_notifier

And the report (abandoned changes 14 days without response from the initial
notification sent) can be found:
http://abandoner.oliver.net.au