[openstack-dev] [Zaqar] Comments on the concerns arose during the TC meeting

Chris Dent chdent at redhat.com
Wed Sep 10 10:01:21 UTC 2014

On Tue, 9 Sep 2014, Samuel Merritt wrote:
> On 9/9/14, 4:47 PM, Devananda van der Veen wrote:
>> The questions now before us are:
>> - should OpenStack include, in the integrated release, a
>> messaging-as-a-service component?
>
> I certainly think so. I've worked on a few reasonable-scale web applications,
> and they all followed the same pattern: HTTP app servers serving requests
> quickly, background workers for long-running tasks, and some sort of durable
> message-broker/queue-server thing for conveying work from the first to the
> second.
>
> A quick straw poll of my nearby coworkers shows that every non-trivial web
> application that they've worked on in the last decade follows the same
> pattern.
>
> While not *every* application needs such a thing, web apps are quite common
> these days, and Zaqar satisfies one of their big requirements. Not only that,
> it does so in a way that requires much less babysitting than
> run-your-own-broker does.

I don't think there's any question about the value of a "durable
message-broke/queue-server thing" in the general case.

The question is whether OpenStack is in the business of satisfying
that case.

Which leads inevitably to the existential questions of What is
OpenStack in the business of? and How do we stay sane while being in
that business?

Every long thread over the last couple of months has trended towards
those questions. It's getting pretty tiresome. We'd all be a lot
more focused if we knew the answer.

--
Chris Dent tw:@anticdent freenode:cdent
https://tank.peermore.com/tanks/cdent