[openstack-dev] [Zaqar] Comments on the concerns arose during the TC meeting

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Wed Sep 10 06:15:29 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Samuel Merritt's message of 2014-09-09 19:04:58 -0700:
> On 9/9/14, 4:47 PM, Devananda van der Veen wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 4:12 PM, Samuel Merritt <sam at swiftstack.com> wrote:
> >> On 9/9/14, 12:03 PM, Monty Taylor wrote:
> > [snip]
> >>

> >> Whether Zaqar is more like AMQP or more like email is a really strange
> >> metric to use for considering its inclusion.
> >>

> > I don't find this strange at all -- I had been judging the technical
> > merits of Zaqar (ex-Marconi) for the last ~18 months based on the
> > understanding that it aimed to provide Queueing-as-a-Service, and
> > found its delivery of that to be lacking on technical grounds. The
> > implementation did not meet my view of what a queue service should
> > provide; it is based on some serious antipatterns (storing a queue in
> > an RDBMS is probably the most obvious); and in fact, it isn't even
> > queue-like in the access patterns enabled by the REST API (random
> > access to a set != a queue). That was the basis for a large part of my
> > objections to the project over time, and a source of frustration for
> > me as the developers justified many of their positions rather than
> > accepted feedback and changed course during the incubation period. The
> > reason for this seems clear now...
> >
> > As was pointed out in the TC meeting today, Zaqar is (was?) actually
> > aiming to provide Messaging-as-a-Service -- not queueing as a service!
> > This is another way of saying "it's more like email and less like
> > AMQP", which means my but-its-not-a-queue objection to the project's
> > graduation is irrelevant, and I need to rethink about all my previous
> > assessments of the project.
> >
> > The questions now before us are:
> > - should OpenStack include, in the integrated release, a
> > messaging-as-a-service component?
>
> I certainly think so. I've worked on a few reasonable-scale web
> applications, and they all followed the same pattern: HTTP app servers
> serving requests quickly, background workers for long-running tasks, and
> some sort of durable message-broker/queue-server thing for conveying
> work from the first to the second.
>
> A quick straw poll of my nearby coworkers shows that every non-trivial
> web application that they've worked on in the last decade follows the
> same pattern.
>
> While not *every* application needs such a thing, web apps are quite
> common these days, and Zaqar satisfies one of their big requirements.
> Not only that, it does so in a way that requires much less babysitting
> than run-your-own-broker does.

I think you missed the distinction.

What you describe is _message queueing_. Not messaging. The difference
being the durability and addressability of each message.

As Devananda pointed out, a queue doesn't allow addressing the items in
the queue directly. You can generally only send, receive, ACK, or NACK.