[openstack-dev] [Heat] Defining what is a SupportStatus version

Gauvain Pocentek gauvain.pocentek at objectif-libre.com
Fri Sep 5 05:29:05 UTC 2014

Hi,

A bit of background: I'm working on the publication of the HOT
resources reference on docs.openstack.org. This book is mostly
autogenerated from the heat source code, using the sphinx XML output. To
avoid publishing several references (one per released version, as is
done for the OpenStack config-reference), I'd like to add information
about the support status of each resource (when they appeared, when
they've been deprecated, and so on).

So the plan is to use the SupportStatus class and its `version`
attribute (see https://review.openstack.org/#/c/116443/ ). And the
question is, what information should the version attribute hold?
Possibilities include the release code name (Icehouse, Juno), or the
release version (2014.1, 2014.2). But this wouldn't be useful for users
of clouds continuously deployed.

 From my documenter point of view, using the code name seems the right
option, because it fits with the rest of the documentation.

What do you think would be the best choice from the heat devs POV?

Gauvain Pocentek

Objectif Libre - Infrastructure et Formations Linux
http://www.objectif-libre.com