[openstack-dev] [nova] Averting the Nova crisis by splitting out virt drivers

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Thu Sep 4 15:18:56 UTC 2014

Le 04/09/2014 17:00, Solly Ross a écrit :
>> My only question is about the need to separate out each virt driver into a separate project, wouldn't you
>> accomplish a lot of the benefit by creating a single virt project that includes all of the drivers?
> I don't think there's particularly a *point* to having all drivers in one repo.  Part of code review is looking for code "gotchas", but part of code review is looking for subtle issues that are caused by the very nature of the driver.  A HyperV "core" reviewing a libvirt change should certainly be able to provide the former, but most likely cannot provide the latter to a sufficient degree (if he or she can, then he or she should be a libvirt "core" as well).
>
> A strong +1 to Dan's proposal.  I think this would also make it easier for non-core reviewers to get started reviewing, without having a specialized tool setup.

As I said previously, I'm also giving a +1 to this proposal. That said,
as I think it deserves at least one iteration for getting this done
(look at the scheduler split and since hox long we're working on it), I
also think we need a short-term solution like the one proposed by
Thierry, ie. what I call "half-cores" - people who help reviewing an
code area and free up time for cores just for approving instead of
focusing on each iteration.

-Sylvain