[openstack-dev] [neutron][ml2] Mech driver as out-of-tree add-on

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Thu Aug 14 10:09:26 UTC 2014

I think there will soon be a discussion regarding what the appropriate
location for plugin and drivers should be.
My personal feeling is that Neutron has simply reached the tipping point
where the high number of drivers and plugins is causing unnecessary load
for the core team and frustration for the community.

There I would totally support Luke's initiative about maintaining an
out-of-tree ML2 driver. On the other hand, a plugin/driver "diaspora" might
also have negative consequences such as frequent breakages such as those
Bob was mentioning or confusion for users which might need to end up
fetching drivers from disparate sources.

As mentioned during the last Neutron IRC meeting this is another "process"
aspect which will be discussed soon, with the aim of defining a plan for:
- drastically reduce the number of plugins and drivers which must be
maintained in the main source tree
- enhance control of plugin/driver maintainers over their own code
- preserve the ability of doing CI checks on gerrit as we do today
- raise the CI bar (maybe finally set the smoketest as a minimum
requirement?)

Regards,
Salvatore