[openstack-dev] [Trove] Guest RPC API improvements. Messages, topics, queues, consumption.

Denis Makogon dmakogon at mirantis.com
Fri Oct 31 21:28:34 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 7:49 PM, Tim Simpson <tim.simpson at rackspace.com>
wrote:

>  Hi Denis,
>
>  It seems like the issue you're trying to solve is that these 'prepare'
> messages can't be consumed by the guest.

Not only 'prepare' call. I want to point out that each RPC API call that
uses RPC 'cast' messaging type may remain for ever inside AMPQ service.

> So, if the guest never actually comes online and therefore can't consume
> the prepare call, then you'll be left with the message in the queue
> forever.
>
> Yes, it still may fail, but at least we can be sure that when we want to
'cast' something to guest it's alive and the only way to check if it's
alive to use 'call' messaging type, because if guest is down for some
reasons 'call' will fail as soon as possible.

>  If you use a ping-pong message, you'll still be left with a stray
> message in the queue if it fails.
>
> Ok, let's discuss it. What do you thing would give us confidence that
guest is really up and ready to consume?

>  I think the best fix is if we delete the queue when deleting an
> instance. This way you'll never have more queues in rabbit than are needed.
>
> I do agree that it may work. But as for me, it'll be more safe if
taskmanager will handle topic initializing(when instance gets created) and
canceling (when instance gets deleted).

>  Thanks,
>
>  Tim

Best regards,