[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Provider Router topology

Jaume Devesa devvesa at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 10:01:45 UTC 2014

Hi all,

in Midokura we are working on a blueprint to define a new kind of topology
for floating ranges, as alternative to external network topology. It is
based on the idea of a Provider Router that links directly with Tenant
Routers using /30 networks. It aims to be more pure-floating, helping the
deployment of floating ranges across different physical L2 Networks. (We
know there is some interest in this[1]) We think that also it might help in
add Firewall specific policies at the edge of the cloud and define
per-tenant or per-network QoS definitions.

Document[2] is still WIP, with high level ideas and just some API details.
But we would love to hear Neutron community feedback to go further in a
steady way. In the implementation level, we are concerned in being
compatible with current DVR and don't add a new SPOF in Neutron OVS plugin.
So DVR developers feedback would be highly appreciated.

We are also interested in chat about it during the summit, maybe during the
Kilo L3 refractor BoF? [3]

Thanks in advance!

PD: Blueprint is here[4]

[1]: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/pluggable-ext-net