[openstack-dev] [all] [tc] Multi-clouds integration by OpenStack cascading

Day, Phil philip.day at hp.com
Thu Oct 23 11:24:57 UTC 2014

Hi,

Sure, I'll certainly try and find some time to meet and talk.

> is working out how to distribute/federate Neutron then we'd have a solution
> that could be mapped as easily cells and/or regions - and I wonder if then
> why really need yet another aggregation concept ?"
>
> My answer is that it seems to be feasible but can not meet the muti-site
> cloud demand (that's the drive force for cascading):
> 1) large cloud operator ask multi-vendor to build the distributed but unified
> multi-site cloud together and each vendor has his own OpenStack based
> solution. If shared Nova/Cinder with federated Neutron used, the cross data
> center integration through RPC message for multi-vendor infrastrcuture is
> very difficult, and no clear responsibility boundry, it leads to difficulty for
> trouble shooting, upgrade, etc.

So if the scope of what you're doing to is to provide a single API across multiple clouds that are being built and operated independently then I'm not sure how you can impose enough consistency to guarantee any operations.    What if one of those clouds has Nova AZs configured, and your using (from what I understand AZs to try and route to a specific cloud) ?   How do you get image and flavor consistency across the clouds ?

I picked up on the Network aspect because that seems to be something you've covered in some depth here https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1wIqWgbZBS_EotaERV18xYYA99CXeAa4tv6v_3VlD2ik/edit?pli=1#slide=id.g390a1cf23_2_149 so I'd assumed it was an intrinsic part of your proposal.  Now I'm even less clear on the scope of what you're trying to achieve ;-(

If this is a federation layer for in effect arbitrary Openstack clouds then it kind of feels like it can't be anything other than an aggregator of queries (list the VMs in all of the clouds you know about, and show the results in one output).   If you have to make API calls into many clouds (when only one of them may have any results) then that feels like it would be a performance issue.  If you're going to cache the results somehow then in effect you needs the Cells approach for propogating up results, which means the sub-clouds have to be co-operating.

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but is there a clear write-up of the restrictions / expectations of sub-clouds to work in this model ?

Kind Regards
Phil