[openstack-dev] [QA] Proposal: A launchpad bug description template

Markus Zoeller mzoeller at de.ibm.com
Thu Oct 16 17:08:04 UTC 2014

Masayuki Igawa <masayuki.igawa at gmail.com> wrote on 10/16/2014 03:41:24 PM:

> From: Masayuki Igawa <masayuki.igawa at gmail.com>
> Date: 10/16/2014 03:44 PM
> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [QA] Proposal: A launchpad bug
> description template
>
> Hi Markus,
>
> Thank you for bringing up this.
>
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 9:13 PM, Markus Zoeller <mzoeller at de.ibm.com>
wrote:
> > TL;DR: A proposal for a template for launchpad bug entries which asks
> >        for the minimal needed data to work on a bug.
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > As a new guy in OpenStack I find myself often in the situation that
I'm

-----------------------------

> > Problem description:
> > ======================
> > # Summarize the issue in as few words as possible and as much words as
> > # necessary. A reader should have the chance to decide if this is in
his
> > # expertise without reading the following sections.
> >
> > Steps to reproduce:
> > ======================
> > # Explain where you start and under which conditions.
> > # List every input you gave and every action you made.
> >
> > # E.g.:
> > # Prereqs: Installed devstack on x86 machine with icehouse release
> > # 1) In Horizon, launch an instance with name "test" an flavor
"m1.tiny"
> > #    from image "cirros-0.3.1-x86_64-uec"
> > # 2) Launch 2 other instances with different names but with the same
> > #    flavor and image.
> >
> > Expected behavior:
> > ======================
> > # Describe what you thought what should happen. If applicable provide
> > # sources (e.g. wiki pages, manuals or similar) why to expected this.
> > # E.g.:
> > # Each instance should be launched successfully.
> >
> > Observed behavior:
> > ======================
> > # Describe the observed behavior and how it differs from the expected
> > # one. List the error messages you get. Link to debug data.
> > # E.g.:
> > # The third instance was not launched. It went to an error state. The
> > # error message was "host not found".
> >
> > Reproducibility:
> > ======================
> > # How often will the "steps to reproduce" result in the described
> > # observed behavior?
> > # This could give a hint if the bug is related to race conditions
> > # Try to give a good estimate.
> > # E.g. "4/5" (read "four times out of five tries")
> > # 5/5
> >
> > Environment:
> > ======================
> > # Which version/branch did you use?
> > # Details of the machine?
> >
> > Additional data:
> > ======================
> > # Links to http://paste.openstack.org/ with content of log files.
> > # Links to possible related bugs.
> > # Things which might be helpful to debug this but doesn't fit into the
> > # other sections.
> >
> > -------------------------- template end  -----------------------------
>
> +1!
>
> I think many of bug descriptions don't have enough information for
> debugging now.  So we should have enough information like this as
> possible.
> However, one thing I'm concerned about this template is a little heavy
> process for submitting an easy bug. We might have some templates for
> depending on the situation.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Masayuki Igawa

I'm not quite sure if it would be good to omit a proper bug description
even if the author of the bug considers this an "easy" bug. If it is
an easy one it could be tagged with the "low-hanging-fruit" tag and
left for a new contributor. Sure, it is easier for the *author* to make
a quick description in a bug entry but I assume that this time saving
has to be paid in the later steps of the lifecycle of the bug.
A bug seems easy to an author because he has already the knowledge to
debug this. Another person will not profit from a short description
and will not increase his knowledge and help in other (more complicated)
bugs. If a section is irrelevant for this bug (e.g. Environment), than
a short "N/A" could save time for author and reader.

Regards,
Markus Zoeller
IRC: markus_z