[openstack-dev] [nova] APIImpact flag for nova specs

Christopher Yeoh cbkyeoh at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 10:52:37 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 8:58 PM, Sylvain Bauza <sbauza at redhat.com> wrote:

> Le 15/10/2014 11:56, Christopher Yeoh a écrit :
>

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 7:31 PM, Alex Xu <xuhj at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>
>>  On 2014年10月15日 14:20, Christopher Yeoh wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I was wondering what people thought of having a convention of adding
>>> an APIImpact flag to proposed nova specs commit messages where the
>>> Nova API will change? It would make it much easier to find proposed
>>> specs which affect the API as its not always clear from the gerrit
>>> summary listing.
>>>
>>  +1, and is there any tool can be used by search flag?
>>

>  Can use the message: filter in the gerrit web search interface to search
> in commit messages, or
> alternatively use gerritlib to write something custom.
>

> IMHO, asking people to put a tag on a commit msg is good but errorprone
> because there could be some misses.
> Considering that API changes require new templates, why not asking for
> people to provide on a separate tpl file the changes they want to provide,
> and make use of the Gerrit file pattern search like
> specs/kilo/approved/*.tpl ?

We don't require new templates as part of nova-specs and api changes don't
necessarily change the api sample tpl files. We do ask for some jsonschema
descriptions of the new APIs input but they work pretty well in the spec
document itself. I agree it could be prone to spelling mistakes etc, though
just being able to search for 'api' would be sufficient and people who
review specs could pick up missing or mispelled flags in the commit message
(and it wouldn't necessarily need to be restricted to just APIImpact as
possible flags).

Regards,

Chris