[openstack-dev] [Nova] Automatic evacuate

Adam Lawson alawson at aqorn.com
Wed Oct 15 00:14:57 UTC 2014

> Nova is also not the right place to do the generic solution as many other
> parts could be involved... neutron and cinder come to mind. Nova needs to
> provide the basic functions but it needs something outside to make it all
> happen transparently.
> I would really like a shared solution rather than each deployment doing
> their own and facing identical problems. A best of breed solution which can
> be incrementally improved as we find problems to get the hypervisor down
> event, to force detach of boot volumes, restart elsewhere and reconfigure
> floating ips with race conditions is needed.
> Some standards for tagging is good but we also need some code :-)

I think this would actually be a worthwhile cross-project effort but
getting it done would require some higher-level guidance to keep it on
track.

I also do not believe Nova *contains* all of the data to perform auto-evac,
but it has *access* to the data right? Or could anyway. I think Cinder
would definitely play a roll, and Neutron for sure.

And as far is scope is concerned, I personally think something like this
should only support VM's with shared storage. Otherwise, phase 1 gets
overly complex and gets into something akin to VMware's DRS which I DO
think could be another step, but the first step needs to be clean to ensure
it gets done.

*Adam Lawson*

AQORN, Inc.
427 North Tatnall Street