[openstack-dev] [Nova] Automatic evacuate

Mathieu Gagné mgagne at iweb.com
Tue Oct 14 19:01:07 UTC 2014

On 2014-10-14 2:49 PM, Tim Bell wrote:

> Nova is also not the right place to do the generic solution as many other parts could be involved... neutron and cinder come to mind. Nova needs to provide the basic functions but it needs something outside to make it all happen transparently.
>
> I would really like a shared solution rather than each deployment doing their own and facing identical problems. A best of breed solution which can be incrementally improved as we find problems to dget the hypervisor down event, to force detach of boot volumes, restart elsewhere and reconfigure floating ips with race conditions is needed.
>
> Some standards for tagging is good but we also need some code :-)

I agree with Tim. Nova does not have all the required information to
make a proper decision which could imply other OpenStack (and
non-OpenStack) services. Furthermore, evacuating a node might imply
fencing which Nova might not be able to do properly or have the proper
tooling. What about non-shared storage backend in Nova? You can't
evacuate those without data loss.

--
Mathieu