[openstack-dev] [devstack] external plugin support for Devstack

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Mon Nov 24 14:32:35 UTC 2014

On 11/24/2014 08:56 AM, Chmouel Boudjnah wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks to the work of Dean and others we have a pretty solid
> plugins/extras support in Devstack. People can add new features in
> devstack within just a single file and that add a whole new feature or
> driver to devstack.
>
> It seems that there is quite a bit of people who wants to have those
> extras plugins/features in the default devstack core because it's way
> more convenient for their users.
>
> The policy has been mostly (and correct me if I am wrong) that things
> which are not tested in the gates cannot be in core devstack.
>
> What about having a plugin structure for devstack assuming a standard
> directory structures which devstack would download and use automatically.
>
> For the implemention I was thinking about something like this in our
> local.conf :
>
> enabled_services
> blah_feature:https://git.openstack.org/stackforge/devstack-plugin-feature
>
> and that repo gets downloaded and used automatically.
>
> I understand that it is just a shortcut since curl -O
> https://git.openstack.org/stackforge/devstack-plugin-feature/devstack_plugin.sh
> in extras.d would work as well but maybe that would make people more
> confortable not having to be in core devstack and tell their users
> easily how to test a feature/driver with Devstack?

We should also make this something which is gate friendly. I think the
idea had been that if projects included a /devstack/ directory in them,
when assembling devstack gate, that would be automatically dropped into
devstack's extra.d directory before running.

Which would let projects keep their devstack support local, make it easy
to gate their project on it, give those projects the ability to make
local fixes if something in devstack broke them.

I think that in general providing this kind of functionality is
goodness. We should probably get the details hammered out though to
support local running and automated testing coherently.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net