[openstack-dev] [nova] Proposal new hacking rules

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Fri Nov 21 18:52:50 UTC 2014

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 07:15:49PM +0100, jordan pittier wrote:
> Hey,
> I am not a Nova developer but I still have an opinion.
>
> >Using boolean assertions
> I like what you propose. We should use and enforce the assert* that best matches the intention. It's about semantic and the more precise we are, the better.
>
> >Using same order of arguments in equality assertions
> Why not. But I don't know how we can write a Hacking rule for this. So you may fix all the occurrences for this now, but it might get back in the future.

Ok I'll bite, besides the enforceability issue which you pointed out, it just
doesn't make any sense, you're asserting 2 things are equal: (A == B) == (B == A)
and I honestly feel that it goes beyond nitpicking because of that.

It's also a fallacy that there will always be an observed value and an
expected value. For example:

  self.assertEqual(method_a(), method_b())

Which one is observed and which one is expected? I think this proposal is just
reading into the parameter names a bit too much.