[openstack-dev] LTFS integration with OpenStack Swift for scenario like - Data Archival as a Service .

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Fri Nov 14 19:43:51 UTC 2014

There were some discussions over the past years.

I raised the question of Swift tape support in my keynote in Boston in 2011 (http://www.slideshare.net/noggin143/cern-user-story) but there was limited interest. LTFS makes it more likely but we should not underestimate the challenges. Ensuring bulk recall/migration (mounting tapes takes minutes), inventory catalogs to find the right tape and robotics (multiple interfaces to ask for a tape to be mounted) means it is not just a POSIX support question.

There was a blog in 2012 regarding a Glacier competitor (http://www.buildcloudstorage.com/2012/08/cold-storage-using-openstack-swift-vs.html) but I don't think things have progressed much beyond that.

It would need to be tiered (i.e. migrate whole collections rather than files) and a local catalog would be needed to map containers to tapes. Timeouts would be an issue since we are often waiting hours for recall (to ensure that multiple recalls for the same tape are grouped).

It is not an insolvable problem but it is not just a 'use LTFS' answer.

Tim