[openstack-dev] [Fuel] fuel master monitoring

Przemyslaw Kaminski pkaminski at mirantis.com
Tue Nov 4 14:26:02 UTC 2014

Hello,

In extension to my comment in this bug [1] I'd like to discuss the
possibility of adding Fuel master node monitoring. As I wrote in the
comment, when disk is full it might be already too late to perform any
action since for example Nailgun could be down because DB shut itself
down. So we should somehow warn the user that disk is running low (in
the UI and fuel CLI on stderr for example) before it actually happens.

For now the only meaningful value to monitor would be disk usage -- do
you have other suggestions? If not then probably a simple API endpoint
with statvfs calls would suffice. If you see other usages of this then
maybe it would be better to have some daemon collecting the stats we want.

If we opted for a daemon, then I'm aware that the user can optionally
install Zabbix server although looking at blueprints in [2] I don't see
anything about monitoring Fuel master itself -- is it possible to do?
Though the installation of Zabbix though is not mandatory so it still
doesn't completely solve the problem.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/fuel/+bug/1371757
[2] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/fuel/+spec/monitoring-system

Przemek