[openstack-dev] Manual VM migration

Naveed Ahmad 12msccsnahmad at seecs.edu.pk
Thu May 22 21:04:00 UTC 2014

Hi,
Thanks for response and sharing script.

Can i use this script with devstack based cloud platform.?

Actually Live Migration is available between inter-cluster. so that why i
was talking about the suspend/pause the VM before migration.

Regards

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 8:45 PM, Diego Parrilla Santamaría <
diego.parrilla.santamaria at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Naveed,
>
> I don't think it's a good idea to suspend/pause. If you want to keep the
> state of the VM then have a look at the live migration capabilities of KVM.
> Our script is very simple and works for any VM without attached block
> storage.
>
> Here goes the little script. Keep in mind it's something very simple.
>
> https://gist.github.com/diegoparrilla/6288e1521bffe741f71a
>
> Regards
> Diego
>

>  --
> Diego Parrilla
>  <http://www.stackops.com/>*CEO*
> *www.stackops.com <http://www.stackops.com/> | *
> diego.parrilla at stackops.com | +34 91 005-2164 | skype:diegoparrilla
>

> On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 8:36 AM, Naveed Ahmad <12msccsnahmad at seecs.edu.pk>wrote:
>

>> Hi Diego ,
>>
>> Thanks for sharing steps for VM migration from customer end to your
>> cloud. Well! i am not going to propose new idea for VM migration. I am
>> using VM migration  for POC of my research idea.
>>
>> I have few question for you!
>>

>> 1. Can we use suspend/pause feature instead of snapshot for saving VM
>> states. ?
>> 2. How you are managing VM metadata (such as instance detail from
>> nova,cinder database)
>>

>> Is it possible for you to share script? I need this VM migration feature
>> in Openstack for POC only.
>> Thanks again for your reply.
>>

>> Regards
>> Naveed
>>

>> On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 10:47 PM, Diego Parrilla Santamaría <
>> diego.parrilla.santamaria at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Naveed,
>>>
>>> we have customers running VMs in their own Private Cloud that are
>>> migrating to our new Public Cloud offering. To be honest I would love to
>>> have a better way to do it, but this is how we do. We have developed a tiny
>>> script that basically performs the following actions:
>>>
>>> 1) Take a snapshot of the VM from the source Private Cloud
>>> 2) Halts the source VM (optional, but good for state consistency)
>>>  3) Download the snapshot from source Private Cloud
>>> 4) Upload the snapshot to target Public Cloud
>>> 5) Start a new VM using the uploaded image in the target public cloud
>>> 6) Allocate a floating IP and attach it to the VM
>>> 7) Change DNS to point to the new floating IP