[openstack-dev] How-to and best practices for developing new OpenStack service

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Fri May 9 20:00:48 UTC 2014

On 05/08/2014 12:16 AM, Ruslan Kiianchuk wrote:
> Short tutorial for developers not familiar with OpenStack infrastructure
> still would be useful. My task is to help Python developers that haven't
> worked with OpenStack before start an OpenStack service development in
> the shortest possible period. If none will come up, I'll be thinking
> about writing one :)

I thought about a short tutorial and I realized that it wasn't going to
be short at all. So I opted for a full size training program instead :)
We're going to have the first 'full size' OpenStack Upstream Training
edition in Atlanta tomorrow so we'll know how it goes soon.

The reason why I opted for a longer training instead of a short tutorial
is that OpenStack is huge, in terms of code available *and* tools used
*and* social habits. The coexistence and the equal importance of all
these aspects made me decide that a simple tutorial would not serve
adequately the purpose of onboarding new OpenStack developers.

We're already thinking of running Upstream Training again before Paris
so stay tuned. I expect that with experience and more resources we'll
also be able to produce content to consume in 'pills' for more
continuous training of new developers.

Regards,
Stef