[openstack-dev] [Heat] Special session on heat-translator project at Atlanta summit

Serg Melikyan smelikyan at mirantis.com
Tue May 6 07:58:08 UTC 2014

Thomas, It is great that 'heat-translator' project would have a session at
the Atlanta Summit! We are definitely interested in TOSCA and how it is
translated to the HOT.

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 9:21 PM, Thomas Spatzier
<thomas.spatzier at de.ibm.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I mentioned in some earlier mail that we have started to implement a TOSCA
> YAML to HOT translator on stackforge as project "heat-translator". We have
> been lucky to get a session allocated in the context of the "Open source @
> OpenStack" program for the Atlanta summit, so I wanted to share this with
> the Heat community to hopefully attract some interested people. Here is the
> session link:
>

> http://openstacksummitmay2014atlanta.sched.org/event/c94698b4ea2287eccff8fb743a358d8c#.U2e-zl6cuVg
>
> While there is some focus on TOSCA, the goal of discussions would also be
> to find a reasonable design for sitting such a translation layer on-top of
> Heat, but also identify the relations and benefits for other projects, e.g.
> how Murano use cases that include workflows for templates (which is part of
> TOSCA) could be addressed long term. So we hope to see a lot of interested
> folks there!
>
> Regards,
> Thomas
>
> PS: Here is a more detailed description of the session that we submitted:
>
> 1) Project Name:
> heat-translator
>
> 2) Describe your project, including links to relevent sites, repositories,
> bug trackers and documentation:
> We have recently started a stackforge project [1] with the goal to enable
> the deployment of templates defined in standard format such as OASIS TOSCA
> on top of OpenStack Heat. The Heat community has been implementing a native
> template format 'HOT' (Heat Orchestration Templates) during the Havana and
> Icehouse cycles, but it is recognized that support for other standard
> formats that are sufficiently aligned with HOT are also desirable to be
> supported.
> Therefore, the goal of the heat-translator project is to enable such
> support by translating such formats into Heat's native format and thereby
> enable a deployment on Heat. Current focus is on OASIS TOSCA. In fact, the
> OASIS TOSCA TC is currently working on a TOSCA Simple Profile in YAML [2]
> which has been greatly inspired by discussions with the Heat team, to help
> getting TOSCA adoption in the community. The TOSCA TC and the Heat team
> have also be in close discussion to keep HOT and TOSCA YAML aligned. Thus,
> the first goal of heat-translator will be to enable deployment of TOSCA
> YAML templates thru Heat.
> Development had been started in a separate public github repository [3]
> earlier this year, but we are currently in the process of moving all code
> to the stackforge projects
>
> [1] https://github.com/stackforge/heat-translator
> [2]
>
> https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=52571&wg_abbrev=tosca
> [3] https://github.com/spzala/heat-translator
>
> 3) Please describe how your project relates to OpenStack:
> Heat has been working on a native template format HOT to replace the
> [...]

Serg Melikyan, Senior Software Engineer at Mirantis, Inc.
http://mirantis.com | smelikyan at mirantis.com

+7 (495) 640-4904, 0261
+7 (903) 156-0836