[openstack-dev] Incubation Request: Murano

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Tue Mar 4 22:16:21 UTC 2014

On 04/03/14 00:04, Georgy Okrokvertskhov wrote:

> First of all let me highlight that Murano DSL was much inspired by
> TOSCA. We carefully read this standard before our movement to Murano
> DSL. TOSCA standard has a lot f of very well designed concepts and ideas
> which we reused in Murano. There is one obvious draw back of TOSCA -
> very heavy and verbose XML based syntax. Taking into account that
> OpenStack itself is clearly moving from XML based representations, it
> will be strange to bring this huge XML monster back on a higher level.
> Frankly, the current Murano workflows language is XML based and it is
> quite painful to write a workflows without any additional instrument
> like IDE.

It so happens that the OASIS's TOSCA technical committee are working as
we speak on a "TOSCA Simple Profile" that will hopefully make things
easier to use and includes a YAML representation (the latter is great
IMHO, but the key to being able to do it is the former). Work is still
at a relatively early stage and in my experience they are very much open
to input from implementers.

I would strongly encourage you to get involved in this effort (by
joining the TOSCA TC), and also to architect Murano in such a way that
it can accept input in multiple formats (this is something we are making
good progress toward in Heat). Ideally the DSL format for Murano+Heat
should be a trivial translation away from the relevant parts of the YAML
representation of TOSCA Simple Profile.

cheers,
Zane.