[openstack-dev] [Horizon] Accessibility

Liz Blanchard lsurette at redhat.com
Mon May 5 14:19:39 UTC 2014

On Apr 24, 2014, at 11:06 AM, Douglas Fish <drfish at us.ibm.com> wrote:

> I've proposed a design session for accessibility for the Juno summit, and
> I'd like to get a discussion started on the work that needs to be done.
> (Thanks Julie P for pushing that!)
>
> I've started to add information to the wiki that Joonwon Lee created:
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Horizon/WebAccessibility
> I think that's going to be a good place to gather material.  I'd like to
> see additional information added about what tools we can use to verify
> accessibility.  I'd like to try to summarize the WCAG guidelines into some
> broad areas where Horzion needs work.  I expect to add a checklist of
> accessibility-related items to consider while reviewing code.
>
> Joonwon (or anyone else with an interest in accessibility):  It would be
> great if you could re-inspect the icehouse level code and create bugs for
> any issues that remain.  I'll do the same for issues that I am aware of.
> In each bug we should include a link to the WCAG guideline that has been
> violated.  Also, we should describe the testing technique:  How was this
> bug discovered?  How could a developer (or reviewer) determine the issue
> has actually been fixed?  We should probably put that in each bug at first,
> but as we go they should be gathered up into the wiki page.
>
> There are some broad areas of need that might justify blueprints (I'm
> thinking of WAI-ARIA tagging, and making sure external UI widgets that we
> pull in are accessible).
>
> Any suggestions on how to best share info, or organize bugs and blueprints
> are welcome!

Doug,

Thanks very much for bringing this up as a topic and pushing it forward at Summit. I think this will be a great step forward for Horizon in maturity as we continue to have better accessibility support. I wanted to throw out any article that I found helpful when it comes to testing sites for accessibility for colorblindness:
http://css-tricks.com/accessibility-basics-testing-your-page-for-color-blindness/

I think we can make some very small/easy changes with the color scheme to be sure there is enough contrast to target all types of colorblindness.

Looking forward to this session,
Liz