[openstack-dev] Add VMware dvSwitch/vSphere API support for Neutron ML2

Ilkka Tengvall ilkka.tengvall at cybercom.com
Mon May 5 12:22:24 UTC 2014

Hi,

I would like to start a discussion about a ML2 driver for VMware
distributed virtual switch (dvSwitch) for Neutron. There is a new
blueprint made by Sami Mäkinen (sjm) in
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/neutron-ml2-mech-vmware-dvswitch.

The driver is described and code is publicly available and hosted in
github:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/neutron-ml2-mech-vmware-dvswitch

We would like to get the driver through contribution process, what ever
that exactly means :)

The original problem this driver solves for is is the following:

We've been running VMware virtualization platform in our data center
before OpenStack, and we will keep doing it due existing services. We
also have been running OpenStack for a while also. Now we wanted to get
the most out of both by combining the customers networks on the both
plafroms by using provider networks. The problem is that the networks
need two separate managers, neutron and vmware. There was no OpenStack
tools to attach the guests on VMware side to OpenStack provider networks
during instance creation.

Now we are putting our VMware under control of OpenStack. We want to
have one master to control the networks, Neutron. We implemented the new
ML2 driver to do just that. It is capable of joining the machines
created in vSphere to the same provider networks the OpenStack uses,
using dvSwitch port groups.

I just wanted to open the discussion, for the technical details please
contact our experts on the CC list:

Sami J. Mäkinen
Jussi Sorjonen (freenode: mieleton)

BR,